Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User Trash -- Ability to search within Trash from the Web for end users

Since Box has a public-facing Search API that allows searching within the Trash, the Web App should also make use of this functionality and allow users to search in Trash from the Web. API documentation here: https://docs.box.com/reference#searching-for-content

141 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

12 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 28 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    beta  ·  Adminramato (Admin, Box) responded

This feature is available for a limited set of customers. Contact your Box representative for more information.

3. Native OCR (Optical Character Recognition) Support in Box's Search Index for PDFs

I'd like to be able to use search to search over the contents of scanned PDFs

21 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Due to shifting priorities in this unprecedented time, this feature will be delayed. We are updating the status to “not planned” until we are confident we can deliver the feature. At that time, we will update the status on this site.

4. New Search Filter - 'Last Updated By'

Currently, Box users can't search by a criteria of the user who updated some document most recently. There's a search filter for 'owner', but not 'last updated/modified by'.

REQUEST: Add a 'last updated/modified by' filter to the quick search and full search results filter options.

19 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Search: A request is for search interface "Search Folders and FIles" to only surface results which match Item names in Admin console, report

A request is for search interface "Search Folders and FIles" of Admin Console, Report, User Activity Report, to only surface results which match File/Folder (Item) names and not Item content.

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Suffix Match on titles (a form of Wildcard Search)

We need this feature for legal eDiscovery purposes.

We were doing some file name search testing, and we found some odd results based on our filename searches.

If the filename was alphaomega and we tried searching for omega the search does not pull up any results, but searching alpha does pull up the alphaomega files.

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback. We have noted this feature request and understand the value of this feature. Unfortunately, it is not on the current roadmap.

7. Sort search results alphabetically

AS A Box User
    I WANT to be able to sort search results alphabetically (currently relevance and updated are the only sort options)
    SO THAT I have more options for sorting search results to locate the files and folders I am looking for

13 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 13 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Search - Add Microsoft Visio Files (.vsd, .vsdx, etc.) to the 'Full Text Search' Index

Box already has in-file search ('full text search') on other Office file types (Word Docs, PowerPoint files, and Excel spreadsheets), so users expect that Visio files (which are part of the Office suite) would also be indexed by Box. REQUEST: Include contents of Visio files (.vsd, .vsdx, etc.) in Box's search index. Context - here's the externally-documented list of file types supported by Box's in-file ('full text search') feature: https://community.box.com/t5/Managing-Your-Content/Search-Overview-and-FAQs/ta-p/354#search_hdsiw

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

not planned  ·  dgautham responded

Thanks for the feedback! We have and added this to our backlog. Due to low customer demand for these types, they are currently not prioritized on the roadmap.

10. Add metadata to search results in web app

Currently in the "search results" view in the web app, it is difficult to identify if an item is returned in the search result due to matching metadata. By adding matching metadata which triggered a "positive" search result to the list of search results, it will help guide the user to the correct search result. Without the matching metadata in the search results view, the metadata search query matching and filter functionality is not very useful, as users cannot tell the exact context that resulted in the search result matching. This results in users having to open all search results…

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable option to keep search in folder enabled by default for embed

When searching using the embed widget, the search will go across all library and folders a user has access to.

What I want is for the check box which defines to "only search inside of " to be automatically selected. As it is now, this option is NOT selected by default. If it were selected, then when a user searches, they would be searching only from the folder we care about and downward into that folder structure which would be fine, and lead to hits on only those files in Box that we want the search run against.

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Display number of search results

AS A Box user searching for content
    I WANT to be able to see the number of search results returned when I enter a search
    SO THAT I know if my search query needs to be refined or expanded

7 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

not planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to create "search folders" or "saved searches"

Instead of doing a new search each time, it would be great to be able to save a search and run it at any time with one click. That search could appear in your All Files view as a Search Folder (e.g., named "New PDFs re XYZ") and when you click the folder it runs the search; or as a saved search accessible on the left menu.

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search issue

1) Searching in "File and Folder names" only will display results foun in file metadata:
    https://i.imgur.com/CUHkdDQ.png

2) Search with Russian words will display irrelevant results:
    2.1) box finds particular letters, not complete words
    2.2) box displays search results even there is no file with requested name
    https://i.imgur.com/PEjs0ge.png

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search contents of Box notes (or other documents) even when encryption is enabled

I understand that if data is encrypted outside of Box (as is likely the case for any enterprise user), the search functionality for Box is limited to file names only. Can Box add support for search within documents (Box notes at a minimum, but ideally other document types) even in the case where the enterprise user has encryption enabled? Not having this functionality makes search useless for many of our use cases as a large development team.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Boolean search term support for web and Drive

Would love to have boolean search support for both the web and Drive. If anything, an functional wildcard would be extremely useful.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Limit a search to your Recents list

Similar to how you can focus a search on a specific folder; it would be useful to limit a search to the items in your recents list.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 1. Search for specific file extensions. 2. Replace file extensions within box web

1. We should be able to type in a specific file extension in the File Type.
      Ex. I'm trying to search for all .4tx files that we have, which are old 4sight Fax documents. These files are actually TIFF images, but we need to replace the extension on all of them so we can view them in our current environment, since we don't use that really old application. Box doesn't have a way to search specifically for those extensions so I have to search all file types and end up getting way more non relevant results.

2. If we have a file…

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Right now, Box's search engine is kinda useless

So, i contacted Box through chat to ask why the search engine wasn't looking for the specific input i searched for, and among other things i was told that the engine will look for files/folders which match ANY of the words in your input and has no capability of looking for files containing ALL of the words searched for which most search engine have, be it web search or OS search.

So, here's the problem, we have around 10.000 files uploaded to box, and lots of them share several words which indicate the client's name or what the file contains.…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. search with "not" or "-"

I need to search All Files except for 1 folder to see if there are any files that I need to move to that 1 folder.

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base