Skip to content

Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

243 results found

1. Allow http://127.0.0.1 as redirect_url in published box apps

It is currently disallowed to use redirect_urls of the form http://127.0.0.1 in published apps.

These give the error "insecureredirecturi".

These are allowed in unpublished apps.

Having a redirect to 127.0.0.1 is very useful for native apps which run on the users computer (eg rclone https://rclone.org ).

It is pretty much impossible to do https to 127.0.0.1 - you can't get a valid certificate for it. See this link for details: https://letsencrypt.org/docs/certificates-for-localhost/ - and also for reasons why using http://127.0.0.1 is treated as secure by browsers.

I'll describe how rclone, a native CLI app works. Rclone runs on the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Ability to ban App Token Applications

Currently, we can require users to get approval from admin to authorize apps, but that leads to a number of emails generated to the admin. We want the ability to ban users from creating App Token Applications.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. macOS SDK support

It would be great to see full macOS support in the Box SDK.

I realize that the name of the Apple-flavored SDK is "box-ios-sdk", but "osx" is listed as one of the supported platforms. It compiles and links just fine, but the code path bails on OAuth sign in support.

It looks like most of the SDK would work fine for API calls post authentication, so I think it's mainly a matter of wiring up browser-based sign-in like Dropbox does for their SDK: https://github.com/dropbox/SwiftyDropbox. This seems to be confirmed by a response from @sujaygarlanka in a submitted GitHub issue: …

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. API-level access to Box Admin Console settings

Amazon has many EIDs and their security team needs to be able to apply and monitor enterprise settings in a centralized, scalable way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Box CLI - need more output options for folders:items.

Specific to "box folders:items" but probably other commands as well:

1) If I'm asking for --csv, AND specifying the fields via --fields=, I don't need a header telling me the fields I just requested. I'd like an option to disable the header, or default disable it and make me add it back.

2) If I'm asking for specific fields as --csv, give me just those fields. If I'm asking for --fields=id I don't want it served back to me as "folder,#", I don't want to know it's a folder. If I later do something against that ID that is not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add "synchronize" or "versions" to the BoxCLI "folders:upload" functions

I am looking for a way to "synchronize" a folder and all of it's contents with the BoxCLI.
    So, lets say i run this command:

"box folders:upload /root/test_folder --parent-folder=%ID%"

How can i upload the folder, and only "Update" what has changed?

It would be nice to have something for "Folders" like you have for "Files"

"box files:versions:upload FILEID PATH"

maybe - "box folders:versions:upload FOLDERID PATH"

which would update all of the contents of the folder, version stuff that exist, add items that don't.

I know i can "box:folders:delete"... then "box:folders:upload" again.. but seems a waist of bandwidth and time..

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add "Box DICOM Import" functions to the BoxCLI

One thing that would be handy is to be able to upload a folder (of dicom files) and process the contents with the "Box DICOM Import" functionality using the BoxCLI.

Maybe something like: (add a flag to current box:folders:upload command)

"box folders:upload /root/test_folder --parent-folder=%ID% --dicom-import"

That would be Nice!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Provide read-only scope for user information

I'd like to provide our central identity management team a way to tell whether or not a given Box user has a > 0 byte usage before they delete the user's account (for example, as someone leaves our organization). I'd like to give them read-only API access to https://api.box.com/2.0/users, without giving them any additional access. Support tells me that this isn't currently possible. It'd be nice if it was--this could be useful for a number of other uses, too, such as reporting.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add Support for Reading Tags on Weblinks

You can currently add tags for weblinks via the API, but can't read them. This is a huge oversight, which makes it nearly impossible to add any sort of dynamic filtering capabilities. That is, there's no way to return (or parse) out a list of available tags -- since you can't read any of them.

To accomplish any sort of dynamic filtering, you have to bypass the tags altogether and add them to a field you can read. For example, after a colon in the title field. However, that's a temporary stop-gate solution with issues of its own.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Custom notifications using Box API

Using Box API there is no way to create custom user notifications. It might be helpful to send some information to the customer that some documents have been moved, imported, etc. A user can monitor the folder but this would be a valuable extension for the API for platform developers.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, this is a great suggestion but not one that is currently on our roadmap. In the mean time, you can consider using Webhooks to get relevant events and make use of a simple transactional email/sms API such as those provided by Twilio/Sendgrid or Amazon SES to send notifications based on those events.

12. Allow Enterprise Event API Endpoint to access 7yrs worth of data to match the activity reports provided by the web app

Enterprise Events API endpoint only allows retrieval of events up to one year back. Activity reports in Box go back 7 yrs. Events contain a lot more useful data than activity reports so the request is to match the retention period between the two so the same amount of data can be collected via the API or web application.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow multi-select of files to download from Content Explorer UI element

Our use case is using Content Explorer to allow users to interact with content in Box. If a user wants to download multiple files via Content Explorer, they either have to download one-by-one, or launch the Content Picker UI element and identify their files again. If Content Explorer supported either multi-select or a checkbox multiple select, users could then download their files with one click.

Specific business process: when working with insurance claims, adjusters regularly need to find and download several images to share with another insurance company to process the claim. Out of 100+ images in the claims folder,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. We want to be able to use the BoxAPI only from whitelisted IP addresses

We want to be able to use the BoxAPI only from whitelisted IP addresses
    (For example, register the IP address list of our proxy server )

We believe it is the best to be able to specify a list of accessible IP address range on the apps in the application registration screen

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I would like to automatically set some options when creating a Box user. This is more about options in the Account settings.

We are currently provisioning automatically BOX users via our IDP and SAML assertion.When a user is added to an Active Directory group, his BOX account is automatically created.

I would like to automatically set some options when creating a BOX user. This is more about options in the Account settings. For example : country, number of lines displayed by page, default homepage…

Having particular attributes or API calls to manage these issues would fulfill the need.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Cleanup and Enhance the file/folder webhook events to cover all the happy paths (new file, new file version, restore previous version)

As a Box Application Developer I want to be able to receive a unique, webhook events for the following scenarios:

1. User uploads new file (brand new binary object placed into a Box Folder) - Folder based event (exists: FILE.UPLOADED)
    2. User uploads a new file version - File AND Folder based event (e.g. FILE_NEW.VERSION)
    3. User restores a previous file version - File AND Folder based event (e.g. FILE_RESTORE.VERSION)

As the owner of an enterprise application that has deep integration in the BOX platform, it is surprising that I have no way to use the Webhooks to monitor files for new versions…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow non-admin users to call 'Get Enterprise Users API'.

I want to develop a program that provides an auto-completion feature that displays the names of enterprise users.

However, the current "Get Enterprise Users API" could only be called by co-admins.
    I also want to be able to call from other than co-admin.

By the way, "Get Groups API" could be called from other than co-admins by providing the filter.
    I think there is a contradiction in this specification.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Asynchronous API calls that return a JOB_ID rather than having the session cancelled after 60 seconds

Currently API calls like the "Move Owned Items" almost always run longer than 60 seconds. As a result the session is killed by the Box infrastructure. The "Move Owned Items" task continues to run in basically an asynchronous background mode. But once this happens, the automation process has no way to check the status of the "Move Owned Items" task.

A graceful way to handle this would be to return control back to the caller normally with a JOB_ID that can be used to call back to the "Move Owned Items" API call to check the status of the "background"…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enhance deprovisioning via API

We want to use the API to see who’s collaborating with someone who’s been rolled out of the university, as part of deproviosing script. Then we want to look up collaborations of user being deprovisioned and break all collaborations when a user is rolled out

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Expand maximum number of collaborators

We wants the max number of collaborators to spand past the 15k limit documented in the Scale and API boundaries.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base