Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A way to be able to select the rights of the developer console, which is similar to allow users to use Box Relay.

A way to be able to select the rights of the developer console, which is similar to allow users to use Box Relay.
    This is a way to prevent users not to make sand boxes and API.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bulk API support

It would be great if we have a bulk API option. I would like to pass in the list of entity ids(could be files, folders users etc) and get back the results. This will reduce the number of api calls we do to get all the information.

We try to manage client's storage accounts and the main problem is with rate limiting for a large clients.

Implementation can vary, either limit the response size or provide an ack id and developers can poll for the id and get the data back once the api is ready to spit out the…

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion. This is an interesting idea but not one we currently have on the roadmap. In the mean time, you can apply techniques such as caching (i.e. fetch what you need once for a session and keep it in local storage) to reduce round-trips, and the use the ?fields query string parameter to request only the minimal set of fields you need, which can reduce API response times.

3. Read Enterprise Settings using API

Is there a way to read Enterprise Settings using API? That would be much beneficial where the Admin can choose certain settings like Storage and there wont be a necessity to change the Code every time the Admin wants to change the settings. The API can read the existing settings and manage users based on those configurations. Currently, the application that manages Box accounts has to store those locally and every time there is a change in those settings, that calls for a Change management and code deployment.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Display service account login in JWT app configuration console.

Request:
    It would be really helpful if the service account login were displayed on the JWT app configuration page. This would make it easy to identify the login without having to run a separate script and would lower the barrier to entry for developing unprivileged BOX JWT apps.

Background:
    We are making heavy use of service accounts to promote development server/automation-friendly Box apps. Our development model, outlined here (https://github.com/box-community/sample-jwt-app-primer) involves inviting low-privilege service accounts to collaborate on folders. This enables programatic access to Box files on a selective basis.

A major pain point is identifying the login associated…

19 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under consideration  ·  3 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. macOS SDK support

It would be great to see full macOS support in the Box SDK.

I realize that the name of the Apple-flavored SDK is "box-ios-sdk", but "osx" is listed as one of the supported platforms. It compiles and links just fine, but the code path bails on OAuth sign in support.

It looks like most of the SDK would work fine for API calls post authentication, so I think it's mainly a matter of wiring up browser-based sign-in like Dropbox does for their SDK: https://github.com/dropbox/SwiftyDropbox. This seems to be confirmed by a response from @sujaygarlanka in a submitted GitHub issue: …

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Update the .NET SDK to support .NET Core 3.1

The current .NET Core NuGet package is set to support .NET Standard 1.4, but this means that support for old libraries is required. For example, the SDK throws exceptions when getting an admin client due to incompatibilities with System.IdentityModel.JwtToken >= 5.4. These sort of problems are going to continue to happen as the framework progresses.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Expose user's last activity date and last login date via API

The Box CLI:GET commandlet is a good tool but if it could grab more basic information, it would be great.. For my company, we would like to see the Last Activity and Last Login of an end user's Box Account. This would help us determine when to de-provision a Box Account after we can verify it hasn't been used in X amount of time.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. API-level access to Box Admin Console settings

Amazon has many EIDs and their security team needs to be able to apply and monitor enterprise settings in a centralized, scalable way.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. View and configure enterprise webhooks in the UI

Provide a UI where we can see the webhooks that have been created across our enterprise applications. We have had some webhooks deleted because of users deleting folders or webhooks. Also, we have a case where a webhook stopped triggering. After calling the 'list all webhooks' api, we don't see that webhook created. No one has deleted it so it's difficult to understand what happened to this webhook trigger.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide overwrite switch in CLI to account for existing folder in download location

Currently BOX CLI download doesn't have overwrite action. If a folder already exists in the location where the new folder is being downloaded, the CLI errors out.

There should be a over-write switch to the box CLI folder download. It should be something like:

box folders:download Folder_ID --destination=<location> --over-write=Yes

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. My application does not require download permission

We would like you to provide a way in the developer console to remove the download permission from our application.

We are worried about leaking access tokens.
    Our application needs Box administrator privileges. Then change the folder name or delete the collaborator.
    However, it does not access the content of files in box.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide read-only scope for user information

I'd like to provide our central identity management team a way to tell whether or not a given Box user has a > 0 byte usage before they delete the user's account (for example, as someone leaves our organization). I'd like to give them read-only API access to https://api.box.com/2.0/users, without giving them any additional access. Support tells me that this isn't currently possible. It'd be nice if it was--this could be useful for a number of other uses, too, such as reporting.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Metadata search for files uploaded via Box API

Documents in BOX are not searchable based on Metadata when uploaded using BOX API

Document uploaded into BOX via EPHESOFT using BOX API and 3 metadata elements are attached to the document. We can see the document in the BOX and the metadata elements are present in the Custom Metadata section in the BOX.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two ways to find files in Box based on the metadata. The existing Search API provides a metadata filtering option and also indexes metadata content. The Metadata Query API provides SQL-like syntax for finding files based on specific metadata condtions. See https://developer.box.com/guides/metadata/queries/create/ and https://developer.box.com/guides/search/full-text-search/

If there are unmet needs please add a comment!

14. Box CLI - need more output options for folders:items.

Specific to "box folders:items" but probably other commands as well:

1) If I'm asking for --csv, AND specifying the fields via --fields=, I don't need a header telling me the fields I just requested. I'd like an option to disable the header, or default disable it and make me add it back.

2) If I'm asking for specific fields as --csv, give me just those fields. If I'm asking for --fields=id I don't want it served back to me as "folder,#", I don't want to know it's a folder. If I later do something against that ID that is not…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add "Box DICOM Import" functions to the BoxCLI

One thing that would be handy is to be able to upload a folder (of dicom files) and process the contents with the "Box DICOM Import" functionality using the BoxCLI.

Maybe something like: (add a flag to current box:folders:upload command)

"box folders:upload /root/test_folder --parent-folder=%ID% --dicom-import"

That would be Nice!

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Support for Reading Tags on Weblinks

You can currently add tags for weblinks via the API, but can't read them. This is a huge oversight, which makes it nearly impossible to add any sort of dynamic filtering capabilities. That is, there's no way to return (or parse) out a list of available tags -- since you can't read any of them.

To accomplish any sort of dynamic filtering, you have to bypass the tags altogether and add them to a field you can read. For example, after a colon in the title field. However, that's a temporary stop-gate solution with issues of its own.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Enterprise Event API Endpoint to access 7yrs worth of data to match the activity reports provided by the web app

Enterprise Events API endpoint only allows retrieval of events up to one year back. Activity reports in Box go back 7 yrs. Events contain a lot more useful data than activity reports so the request is to match the retention period between the two so the same amount of data can be collected via the API or web application.

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. API method that resets or invalidates all session tokens for a specific user

API method that resets or invalidates all session tokens for a specific user.

In some cases we are not able to delete or inactivate a user after they have been terminated. The user's iDP (active directory) login is been disabled, but session tokens in apps like Box Drive don't expire. We need the ability to programatically invalidate all access tokens for a user.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. We want to be able to use the BoxAPI only from whitelisted IP addresses

We want to be able to use the BoxAPI only from whitelisted IP addresses
    (For example, register the IP address list of our proxy server )

We believe it is the best to be able to specify a list of accessible IP address range on the apps in the application registration screen

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base