Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "inactive" or "archive" flag maps to less-expensive storage

FEATURE IDEA:
    Provide ability to flag/classify files and folders in a way that allows Box to move them to a less-expensive storage offering on the back-end. This can be referred to as an "inactive" or "archive" flag.

BENEFITS & BACKGROUND

During the Box Higher Education Community Monthly Open Discussion on January 11th, an idea to submit to Box Pulse was formed, and seemed to have support from all in attendance (25-30 institutions).

Box acknowledges that there is a growing concern around constantly increasing storage, and the costs associated with it. The majority of files stored in Box are perceived (or…

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Add filter function to Event API to limit the result by specifying a path collection

Event API result is a list of all updated files in an "entire" site.
    For enterprise use-cases, the volume of this returned data is inevitably very large.
    Thus, even if a part of site needs to be monitored, the network bandwidth is consumed unnecessarily and it casues the performance issue.
    Could you add a filter function to Event API so that the API returns only events related to the files in the specified path collection?

This is the API asking to enhance
    https://developer.box.com/en/guides/events/for-enterprise/

307 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Include Path Collection in the result of Event API

Event API does not include the path collection for updated files. Thus, to get the updated files, another File Info API should be called.
    This situation increases the number of API calls and causes the complexity of the client program and the performance issue.
    Could you include the path collection in Event API results?

286 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow reorganization of received collaborated folders

I would like to request that all users are allowed, as non-folder owners, to place shared folders inside non-shared folders. This allows for better organization for users and therefore an overall better user experience. All other cloud services that I am a part of allow this.

Example:
    I own the folders "fruit" and "orange." Someone else owns the folder "apple" and shares it with me. Currently, I cannot place the folder "apple" inside of my "fruit" folder. I would like to request this is changed.

Currently, Box permissions (and as it was explained to me, security) does not allow it.…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Core & Technical Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Usage Logs - Better Reporting when Shared Link Permissions are Changed

Right now you can see WHEN a user changed the value of a shared link (closed to open for example) but not to what, so if a link was changed, we have to guess as to what level of access. This seems like a gap security wise and may lead to us shutting down shared links.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under consideration  ·  1 comment  ·  Core & Technical Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Templates - Restrict Templates to Specific Users/Groups and/or Folder Structures

Metadata templates are currently global across an entire EID. This does not scale well for large organizations with 50,000, 100,000 or more than 200,000 users.This request is to add 'scope' parameters to Metadata Templates such that a specific template can be restricted to...1. A specific set of users2. A specific set of Groups3. A specific Folder structure

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Core & Technical Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are evaluating options to improve the findability of metadata templates as well as to restrict the scope of access to templates based on dimensions such as application, group, and folder. If you have a use case for this please leave a comment on the request with an explanation of what problem you are trying to solve and how such a change would benefit your organization.

8. Folder transfer takes too long - user loses access

Currently when content is transferred from one owner to another owner, collaborators lose access to the transferred content until the move is complete. Depending on the size of the move it can be an extended period until collaborators can access the content

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under consideration  ·  1 comment  ·  Core & Technical Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Request to add Chunk Downloads, download resume feature

When a large file fails to download, users will have to start the download from the beginning all over again. We would like a retry/resume feature.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Core & Technical Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bulk Download Speed Increase

We're attempting to download files over 10 GB using the bulk download feature but it is taking longer than it would take if they were to download each file individually. It appears we are hitting a limit to which the bulk download feature is actually improving their speeds.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Request to increase item count per folder limit

We would like to be able to add more than 15,000 items per folder. We are working with multi-level folders structures within our environment and anticipate having more than 15,000 items within the first level of their subfolders.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Metadata key values of type {number, date} only searchable by range (gt, lt) and not equality

Assume I have a metadata template "Template" with a key - value of type Number. In both the web app and API, it is not possible to do an equality search:

templateKey = template
    filters = {"value": 2}

Instead, the search requires specifying both lower and upper bounds. If you're searching for a single value, you then have to approximate it with a gt = 2, lt = 2 combo.

a) Most importantly, the API documentation implies that the range parameters are not required when searching by number or date.

b) I think both the webapp UI and the API…

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base