Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include Path Collection in the result of Event API

Event API does not include the path collection for updated files. Thus, to get the updated files, another File Info API should be called.
    This situation increases the number of API calls and causes the complexity of the client program and the performance issue.
    Could you include the path collection in Event API results?

258 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. box-ui-elements content-explorer needs real thumbnails

The Content Explorer element needs at least the option to use actual
    file thumbnails rather than the generic ones based on file type
    currently shown. Otherwise browsing large collections of images and
    videos is very cumbersome to the point of not even being worthwhile. The
    API appears to have a thumbnail/representation endpoint so using it from
    content-explorer seems like a no-brainer.

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. API endpoint to return ALL objects (recursively) but simplified to create browser tree

I am using the jstree library in my application to create a full browser tree of a user's BOX resources. Please create an endpoint to return ALL objects (recursive) available to an authenticated user inside one root folder . These objects would only require the object ID, TYPE, NAME, VERSION and PARENT(parent-id as string instead of parent object). The jstree lib can take this data and create an entire file browsing tree and then users would call up more information when they click on an object. This would greatly reduce the number of API calls to your server and possibly…

9 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make API rate limits more sophisticated, especially for large enterprises

When working with a Box Enterprise that has tens of thousands of users, scripts designed to do things like user information syncing, group syncing, or user provisioning/deprovisioning often run into real issues with the Box API rate limits.

Some calls (e.g. downloading or uploading a file) are clearly significantly more resource-intensive than others (e.g. getting a user’s aliases). The method Google has implemented for the Gmail API (see https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/v1/reference/quota) seems like a really great way to balance the need to protect the back-end systems against the need for increased performance for less-intensive calls. It would be nice if Box…

17 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your patience and feedback, Ian.

I am curious to hear if we were to implement something like what Google has, which endpoints would you expect to see higher rate limits around?

Also, would you mind sharing some more details around the frequency of the API calls your processes are making right now, and any approximations around what rate limits would suffice for you?

Thank you!

5. Add Linux installer packages for Box CLI

Testing out the Box CLI and request official Linux support for Ubuntu or RHEL. Would like an easy install via apt-get or Yum.

53 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to ban App Token Applications

Currently, we can require users to get approval from admin to authorize apps, but that leads to a number of emails generated to the admin. We want the ability to ban users from creating App Token Applications.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Want to get File Request Link via API

We want to get File Request Link via API.

18 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. File-level Collaboration Webhook

I'd like to create a file-level webhook so that I can take action when a file's collaboration(s) have changed, but unfortunately there is currently no webhook trigger for collaborations on a file. Please add support for COLLABORATION.* webhook triggers on file objects.

11 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Display service account login in JWT app configuration console.

Request:
    It would be really helpful if the service account login were displayed on the JWT app configuration page. This would make it easy to identify the login without having to run a separate script and would lower the barrier to entry for developing unprivileged BOX JWT apps.

Background:
    We are making heavy use of service accounts to promote development server/automation-friendly Box apps. Our development model, outlined here (https://github.com/box-community/sample-jwt-app-primer) involves inviting low-privilege service accounts to collaborate on folders. This enables programatic access to Box files on a selective basis.

A major pain point is identifying the login associated…

18 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

researching  ·  3 comments  ·  Developer Platform  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bulk API support

It would be great if we have a bulk API option. I would like to pass in the list of entity ids(could be files, folders users etc) and get back the results. This will reduce the number of api calls we do to get all the information.

We try to manage client's storage accounts and the main problem is with rate limiting for a large clients.

Implementation can vary, either limit the response size or provide an ack id and developers can poll for the id and get the data back once the api is ready to spit out the…

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. A way to be able to select the rights of the developer console, which is similar to allow users to use Box Relay.

A way to be able to select the rights of the developer console, which is similar to allow users to use Box Relay.
    This is a way to prevent users not to make sand boxes and API.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow Metadata search for files uploaded via Box API

Documents in BOX are not searchable based on Metadata when uploaded using BOX API

Document uploaded into BOX via EPHESOFT using BOX API and 3 metadata elements are attached to the document. We can see the document in the BOX and the metadata elements are present in the Custom Metadata section in the BOX.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Box CLI: GET command more detailed.

The Box CLI:GET commandlet is a good tool but if it could grab more basic information, it would be great.. For my company, we would like to see the Last Activity and Last Login of an end user's Box Account. This would help us determine when to de-provision a Box Account after we can verify it hasn't been used in X amount of time.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Box CLI - need more output options for folders:items.

Specific to "box folders:items" but probably other commands as well:

1) If I'm asking for --csv, AND specifying the fields via --fields=, I don't need a header telling me the fields I just requested. I'd like an option to disable the header, or default disable it and make me add it back.

2) If I'm asking for specific fields as --csv, give me just those fields. If I'm asking for --fields=id I don't want it served back to me as "folder,#", I don't want to know it's a folder. If I later do something against that ID that is not…

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. BOX CLI

Currently BOX CLI download doesn't have overwrite action. If a folder already exists in the location where the new folder is being downloaded, the CLI errors out.

There should be a over-write switch to the box CLI folder download. It should be something like:

box folders:download Folder_ID --destination=<location> --over-write=Yes

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. My application does not require download permission

We would like you to provide a way in the developer console to remove the download permission from our application.

We are worried about leaking access tokens.
    Our application needs Box administrator privileges. Then change the folder name or delete the collaborator.
    However, it does not access the content of files in box.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add "Box DICOM Import" functions to the BoxCLI

One thing that would be handy is to be able to upload a folder (of dicom files) and process the contents with the "Box DICOM Import" functionality using the BoxCLI.

Maybe something like: (add a flag to current box:folders:upload command)

"box folders:upload /root/test_folder --parent-folder=%ID% --dicom-import"

That would be Nice!

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Support for Reading Tags on Weblinks

You can currently add tags for weblinks via the API, but can't read them. This is a huge oversight, which makes it nearly impossible to add any sort of dynamic filtering capabilities. That is, there's no way to return (or parse) out a list of available tags -- since you can't read any of them.

To accomplish any sort of dynamic filtering, you have to bypass the tags altogether and add them to a field you can read. For example, after a colon in the title field. However, that's a temporary stop-gate solution with issues of its own.

2 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. sdk

Add Golang SDK

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Provide read-only scope for user information

I'd like to provide our central identity management team a way to tell whether or not a given Box user has a > 0 byte usage before they delete the user's account (for example, as someone leaves our organization). I'd like to give them read-only API access to https://api.box.com/2.0/users, without giving them any additional access. Support tells me that this isn't currently possible. It'd be nice if it was--this could be useful for a number of other uses, too, such as reporting.

1 vote
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base