Help shape the future of Box

Welcome to Box Pulse, our product feedback tool powered by UserVoice. Got an idea for how to improve Box? Share it with us and gather support or vote on other people's ideas. Your feedback is essential to informing roadmap decisions and shaping the future of our products. Thanks for joining our community!

See user guide here.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Automatically Lock & Unlock when editing from Web App using Box Edit

CURRENT UX: User must remember to manually lock and unlock each file once done editing, which is a subpar experience for the user.DESIRED UX: When using 'open with' via the webapp (Box Edit), the file is auto-locked (via a prompt), and when the user closes out of the file, it is automatically unlocked.

142 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We understand the request, but unfortunately this is not on the near-term roadmap. We are currently prioritizing automatically locking/unlocking files on Box Drive for Office files on Windows. We will revisit this feature in the future.

2. Locked Files

It would be REALLY great if there were a way in Box to pull up all of the files you have locked. My team shares tons of excel files all day long. If I forget to unlock a file, no one else knows if they can get in. Half the time I'm not in it but forgot to unlock it. If there were a way to pull up all files at any given time in one place that I've locked where I could unlock them from that screen if I'm no longer in them, it would save us a lot…

31 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 25 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 22 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

not planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. If a user locks the file, it should be only unlockable by that user and an administrator, not other Editors

Other users unlocking defeats the purpose of locking in the first place.

20 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Prevent installation of .msi Box Edit if per-user .exe is already installed

Users get access to Box before their IT team deploys Box Edit. End users start using Box Edit by downloading/installing the .exe installer. Then their IT team deploys the .msi version. This results in Box Edit issues (usually "Box Edit does not support this file type" errors) and requires their IT team to clean up the per-user installs.

19 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Enhance Box Edit to be compatible with Proxy authentication

Currently Box Edit traffic is not compatible with Proxies where they require Authentication (eg: Basic auth)

8 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

not planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. It would be nice if the "Updated" column showed a time, not just a date, stamp

We update our files so frequently that the date stamp is not sufficient; we need a time stamp. Thank you!

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Box Tools install to be shown as "Box Edit" instead of "Box Tools"

While I understand the Box Tools installer also contains the Box Local Com Server application, it is there to support Box Edit so labeling the entire installation more explicitly as Box Edit, instead of Box Tools, will be more clear.

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to open links directly in desktop applications (rather than Box Preview)

Currently when I receive a link to a file on Box via email, clicking the link takes me to Box Preview. A couple of steps are needed before I can open the file using the relevant desktop application (e.g. Word, rather than Word Online or Box Preview), which is invariably what I want to do. It is problematic to need to access files via a web browser if I am not connected to the internet or if my connection is poor. Please could you introduce a way to quickly open lists directly in desktop applications?

6 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Box Tools - Excel as default application for CSV and XLS

We would like Box Edit to have Excel as the default application for all excel files, including CSV.

Right now we run into an issue with CSV files where it is necessary to perform an operation to copy and then paste to Excel from Notepad. (Since opening CSV files might cause garble due to a character code (UTF-8), we are opening Notepad first and then open Excel files)
    Another workaround would be editing the registry which is risky and inconvenient - which is why we would like Edit to automatically open CSV with Excel as the default

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Select new save location if Box Edit save fails

When Box Edit fails to save the file, it saves the data to Desktop.
    We would like to change this to other folder.
    Please consider to add the function which allow the customer to change the folder where the file will be saved when Edit fails.

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add ability for end-user to clear Box Edit cache in UI

We pass this page along to users from time to time to resolve Box Edit cache issues. Please add a UI element that they can use to do this.

https://community.box.com/t5/Box-Tools-Troubleshooting/Clear-Your-Box-Edit-Cache/ta-p/55295

5 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to set default application for Box Edit opening .md file

Sometimes Box Edit opening files in the program not set as default on MacOS

If a user installs Xcode on Mac OS, the user cannot open .md files with default application which set on Mac OS. The user would like to open .md file with Atom.app but it opened with Xcode.
    User can do nothing to change the application. it is the OS that it's selecting XCode when it's installed.

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Open With option for G-Suite with .doc or .xls files

Allow users to utilize Box for G-Suite with older Office File types, such as .doc or .xls files.

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. .PKG File for Deploying Box Edit

We currently only provide a DMG file for deploying Box Edit on a Mac. This is not really scalable and not the preferred way to deploy apps to Mac workstations in large enterprises.

Documentation: https://community.box.com/t5/For-Admins/Large-Scale-Deployments-Box-Edit/ta-p/6591

4 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support Smart View when using Excel Online by Box Edit

When filtering an excel file on Box by Excel Online, that filter does reflect to the other users. We would like an option to have the independent filter between users. For Microsoft environment, Smart View is now generally available so we want the same functionality on Box as well.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to PAUSE during an audio recording in BOX CAPTURE

During an audio recording, be able to PAUSE, then continue with same recording - so all audio is contained in same audio file (for transcription) Example; audio interviews; record intro with identifying information, including confidential ID, pause recording, then invite interviewee into interview, then re-start recording. When we send these files for transcription the confidential identifying information is included at the beginning of each file - but the interviewee is not aware of the confidential ID.

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Notarize the application for MacOS

Box Drive seems to be notarized, however the Box Tools / Box Edit installer is currently not, so my system warns me that this is "an application downloaded from the internet".

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

delivered  ·  0 comments  ·  Box Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add metadata information as a border when printing a document

Adding metadata information as a border when printing a document

3 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Box
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base