Jump to the same path on Box Drive directly from Box Web
Like Dropbox app, we would like a capability to move directly from Box Web to Box Drive. The usecase behind this is that we want to edit a file from Box Drive not Box Edit but want to search on Box Web.
This is a great suggestion and one we’re considering for the future!
Kenneth Libeson commented
Definitely agree here. It's preventing our firm from making Box our primary as we replicate to on prem CIFS which is faster for most users. Their complaint is they can't just copy the path in file explorer for a Box path and send it to someone else because it includes C:\Users\username\Box\...
Here is another idea:
(From File Explorer in Windows using Box Drive)
1. Navigate to the file or folder to share.
2. Right click folder or file to bring up Box menu options.
3. Select "Share/Copy Shared Link"
4. Send that link to the recipient.
5. Instead of recipient opening the link in a browser, they open it in the Box Drive tool in the systray.
6. Box Drive will parse out the URL which includes the file/folder ID and is smart enough to know the path of that file/folder.
7. Box Drive opens the file/folder.
You just need to figure out how to parse the URL to tell File Explorer how to open the path which shouldn't be too hard.
Being able to open the file with finder on the Mac would be awesome!
Oh, dropbox has this feature since 2015..
Basically the workflow is this:
1. Click on the Dropbox URL
2. Roll over the file/folder you want to get to on Dropbox.com
3. Click on the "Open With" button, and navigate down to and click "Show in Finder"
John Nickell commented
This idea sounds really similar to this one that just got promoted to "researching"
John Nickell commented
If possible this could leverage Box Edit's access to the local machine?
David Herrick commented
You can "View on Box.com" from Box Drive; it would be amazing to have a button in the web app in the ellipses or somewhere that could go the other way around. "View on Box Drive". Navigating folders is so much easier than clicking back through the breadcrumbs in the web to find parent folders from shared links/files.
I agree with Edwards point, the reciprocal function would be a powerful improvement. External users might send a link to a file that they have updated from Box Web, but we would want to work in Box Drive internally.
Edward Huels commented
An additional use case... User receive a Box link via email to a file or folder. They want to work on multiple files or sub-folders at that location and it is more efficient to navigate from Box Drive within Windows Explorer.
I would also add that there is a Box Drive function to open on Box.com. This request supports reciprocity.